This week...

This was an absolutely CRAZY week! I can't remember the last time I've had a week like this. It wasn't overly busy and nothing overly traumatic happened to anyone. Just pure crazy!

Monday, Aidan started swimming lessons, which meet twice/week for the next 4 weeks. Even though he is fairly comfortable and capable in the water, he has never taken lessons and it has been quite a shock to him! He also had Cub Scouts on Monday (and again tomorrow).

Tuesday was supposed to be less busy, except for the fact that I woke up Tuesday with hives all over my arm. I was presumably bit by some variety of spider overnight. By mid morning, my elbow was swollen and I actually had to call Tim and have him come home from work so I could take some Benedryl. I've had enough allergic reactions in my life to know when I need to go in and when I don't, but I'm also the kind of person who is completely incapacitated by antihistamines. Case in point, I proceeded to sleep for 4 hours in the middle of the afternoon and still sleep 12+ hours the next night! Totally lame excuse to have your husband come home from work, but with a 1, 4, & 6yo at home it isn't as though I had another good option! It worked out fine though, as he was able to swap testing days with another teacher and had his students do state testing during the afternoon while he was gone.

By Wednesday my arm was better (still nasty red and itchy, but no longer swollen) but it was our turn to help cook for Wednesday night supper at church and Aidan had swimming lessons again! Since I was a little out of it on Tuesday, I did all of my cooking on Wednesday between other things. When we got home from church, Aidan told me that he wasn't feeling well and sure enough he had a fever of 101!

It is a good thing I had lots of sleep the night before, because no one slept that night. Kylee was up for 2 hours in the middle of the night (cutting a tooth we realized later) and by morning there were 7 in the bed counting baby bean and the cat. Thursday morning all 3 were coughing and had nasty gunk running down their noses. We spent half the day reading and half the day watching movies and PBS Kids. By the end of the day I thought everyone was doing better, but we had a repeat of the night before and no one got much sleep.

I cancelled the sledding we had planned and after everyone was up and getting a little energy back we spent 3 hours scrubbing our house. Doorknobs, light switches, dusting, mopping, laundry, toilets, you name it... We ended today by finally getting to the grocery store (which we had needed to do most of the week) and giving up and having Applebee's for dinner while we were out.

In between all of this, we had not just a full week of school, but a full GOOD week of school! Caleb was working particularly well and Aidan has just about mastered dynamic addition in the first week it was presented (dynamic means addition with carrying) along with continuing awesome progress on his addition basic facts.

We are all exhausted and I will surely be heading to bed soon, but I have to say that as much as these crazy weeks leave me completely frazzled at moments (sometimes lots of moments), I love them at the same time. I could have lived without the spider bite and the sick kids, but I love that we can flow with it. I love that we can work as a team (kids included) to get things done when they need to happen, even if the 1st plan doesn't work out.

Strange week. Busy week. Not sure I would want a repeat next week. Yet, I can look back and honestly say it was a good week.

And let's be honest, at least we have a three day weekend to recover!

1 comment:

gretchen said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love yours, too. Thank you for the homeschool encouragement..I love visiting with you out in the blogger world.
Best wishes,