Each winter we have struggled with what to do with our shoes and coats and abundance of winter gear. None of our doors have adequate storage right near the door. The front door has only a small entry, the back door has no entry, and the side door requires immediately walking up or down carpeted stairs. We tried that the first year we lived in the house and wow was that carpet gross by the end of winter!
In the summer we move the shoes outside onto our covered porch area but in the winter that doesn't really work. Last year we tried the back door, but the floors (all hard) were slippery and muddy most of the winter. Plus we still had a space/storage problem even after we took almost everything else out of the laundry room. We have always kind of eyed the the back porch and lamented we couldn't use it year round.
If you follow us on Facebook, you've probably seen this transformation in progress. In any case, here are all of the pictures in one place. The work is not flawless, but we would rather the kids help, at least you know, on non structural things that won't affect the function of the room later ;).
The design of the porch made this a fairly easy transformation as the rails were simply removed between the columns and headers and replaced with stud wall framing.
I didn't get an exterior photo, but for now the plywood is just wrapped with house wrap and sealed up with some sort of weather tape and some caulking in places. We will finish beyond that in the spring. I was worried about weather, but Tim assured me thats what house wrap is designed for and so far it has survived a couple of pretty hearty wind and rain storms no worse for the wear.
Insulating, Dryer Vent, & Flooring
Aidan helped with this step a ton in the attic and with Aidan, Caleb, and Tim helping this took almost no time whatsoever! You can also see the dryer vent had to be moved and the new linoleum (dark color to hide the mud that will come in this door....).
Everyone took a turn mudding, sanding and/or painting. I was kicked out, however, when my belly kept running into the wall and smudging things.... We used leftover paint from the boy's bedroom and we were scraping the bottom of the can to finish!
We got the coats and shoe shelves moved just in time to need to wear them regularly! Tim built a bench to hide the dryer vent and will eventually build lockers for the kids from the end of the bench to the door so we will have extra coat hooks and can take out some of the shoe shelves. Since this picture was taken, we have finished about half of the trim that wasn't done when I took this picture.
Laundry Room Now
All of the shoe shelves and coats were previously in the corner under that window. I threw up a folding table and now I can fold clothes somewhere other than my living room couches. Kind of a bonus of moving the space. In the photos these two colors look almost identical, but they aren't. The laundry room is both darker and brighter if that makes sense.